Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A plan to avoid Open-Heart Surgery provided by Boston!

Pre-anesthesia:

Natural nap while waiting her turn for the MRI machine (bumped by 2 emergency cases):

Recovery Room:


Yum - fruit cup before leaving the hospital!

I just received a call from the cardiologist in Boston that we are working with. She told me that Maya's Qp/Qs ratio is a combined total of from 1.8 to 2:1, with about 1.5 being from the anomalous vein, and the rest from the PDA. She reported that the surgeon who would be working on Maya planned on going in via a space between the left ribs and resection the vein onto a portion of the left atrium of the heart, all while it is beating! The cardiologist informed me that this method carries far less risk than being on heart-lung bypass.

So needless to say we are excited (I had to text-message the info to Victoria, who is giving testimony in a civil case today) and ready to go. It could be as soon as mid-August.

Heading in...




Ready to head home...


-Chris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you all and you have not left my mind since I got your email. Please keep us updated via the blog. Love, Kat